Does Your Daughter Love Herself?
“Love is the great miracle cure. Loving ourselves works miracles in our lives.” – Louise Hay
Are you like me and you’ve asked yourself, what exactly is self-love? How do you do it? Well, if we as adults are wondering, our adolescent girls are certainly in the dark. So, much of what I coach girls about really comes from a place of a lack of self-love.
Here are a few of my top tips for girls on how to love themselves:
- Thought stopping: start noticing your thoughts. When you think a critical thought immediately say “stop” and think a different, better feeling thought. It takes practice but works wonders!
- Critical Brain vs. Kind Brain: Critical brain: “My skin is gross. I have so many zits!” Kind brain: “I’m doing everything I can to take care of my skin. And I have really pretty eyes.”
- Be your own BFF: speak to yourself how you would speak to your best friend. What would you say to her? I bet you would be kind, gentle, forgiving, supportive & complimentary. Give that to yourself! Extra points: Try doing this while looking into your own eyes in the mirror.
- Forgive yourself: When you mess up, own it. Apologize. It’s over and done. Let go of the past. You learned something valuable. You’ll do better next time. Now put your attention on the next moment.
- Have fun: Do what makes you feel good. Be around people that make you feel good. Pay attention to what makes you smile, laugh & feel light. Do more of that.
Know that you are loved.