Workshops for Adults
Barb’s workshops for adults are two hours or less and geared toward adults with girls in 4th-12 grades.
Do you ever feel like you are talking in to the abyss, that everything you say is “wrong”? You are not alone. Join us to gain communication skills that will leave you and your daughters feeling more at ease and connected with a sense of mutual respect. In this workshop you will:
- Discover communication tactics that leads to eye rolls, door slams and disconnect
- Recognize ways to reduce power struggles and resistance
- Learn specific phrases to increase cooperation and feelings of being heard
Girls friendships are tricky and ever-changing. Being her parent, you either hear about the roller coaster ride of emotions or you experience the brunt of her hurt. Most of what I coach parents on is what to say to their girls when a specific situation arises. In this workshop, you will walk away with specific ways to respond to your daughter about these scenarios:
- The downside of being “popular”; helping her manage the demands of her social life
- When her friends are throwing her some shade
- What to do when she is mad at her friend(s)
- How to handle exclusion within her group
- Helping her handle a frenemy in her group
- Rethinking the friend break-up
- Being cool in your tribe may lead to risky behaviors
- Friends being risky/dangerous; when to get an adult involved
- Creating boundaries with a troubled friend
- Helping her develop her social media skills within her tribe
- When to worry when it comes to her friendships
Girls today feel pressure to be “perfect” (straight As, a super athlete and supermodel beautiful). These pressures are damaging. An empowered girl is protected from these pressures for a lifetime. This workshop will enable you to:
- Clearly understand empowerment and self-esteem
- Understand the societal causes of diminished empowerment in young girls
- Learn the consequences of girls giving up their power
- Discover the top ten ways to empower your daughter, improve her sense-of-self and help her to make positive choices
In teenagers, crazy seems normal. Big emotions: hysterically crying, belly laughing, red faced anger. They could win awards for most expressive. But you have to live with them without leaving their drama behind and high tailing it to Mexico. If you are going to continue to live with them, you need tools! Come to this workshop to:
- Understand the brain science behind this big emotion phenomena
- Explore why you are the emotional dumping ground for her
- Communicate effectively when she vents and has big feelings
- Learn boundaries to not internalize her emotions
- Show her how to feel and contain her uncomfortable emotions
- Teach her how to stop ruminating and get unstuck
- Help her manage her social media as it heightens her negative emotions
- Know when to worry when it comes to her emotional state
From Barbie dolls to the box office, the media is doing a powerful job of telling our girls how they should look – through extreme dieting, airbrushing and plastic surgery. Together we will change this. In this workshop, designed for adults with girls in 4th-12th grade, participants will:
- Learn how to identify thoughts and behaviors that lead to poor body image
- Establish strategies that will help to quiet her inner critic
- Obtain tools to build her confidence, help her appreciate the body she has and develop a kinder relationship with her body
- Discover how to create a positive body culture in your home
She’s growing up – maybe faster than you would like. How can you help her with that process without losing your connection and without pulling your hair out with worry? Come to this workshop to:
- Understand the necessities of letting go – for you and for her
- Discover what is behind the resistance of letting go and how to reduce your resistance
- Gain tools to reduce control and increase influence
- Learn how to maintain a good relationship while giving her independence
Seeing your daughter in pain over her friendships is hard. Even with a BFF, the on-again, off-again nature of girl friendships can often turn her life upside down. Come to this workshop to:
- Learn more about how girls manage conflict among friends
- Understand how and why girls can be mean to their friends
- Receive guidance to help your daughter build her friendship skills and better manage disagreements with her girlfriends
- Gain specific tips on how to respond to different types of scenarios: your daughter gets dumped, she is being left out, she feels caught in the middle, she is being mean to others, she is shy, she is domineering and more.
Would you like to learn how to create a more connected relationship with your daughter? Would you like her to feel more understood by you and you by her? Do you have specific concerns about her or your relationship that you would like to improve? This workshop will give you the tools to create this! In this workshop you will:
- Understand the biological changes taking place in your tween/teen daughter that effect her mood/behavior
- Learn how to manage your daughter’s need to distance and how that impacts you
- Discover new communication techniques to lessen the friction and increase the connection
This workshop gives you the tools to navigate one of the scariest parts of parenting teens: your daughter having sex. In this workshop you will:
- Understand how brain development & hormones directly impacts your daughter’s sexual feelings
- Discover the latest statistics on teen sexual behavior
- Learn how to be the best front-line sex educator for your daughter
- Speak the language that resonates with your daughter about sex and dating
Today, it’s not only adults who are feeling anxious — it’s also our girls. Recent studies show that teen girls experience more stress than boys, and that this pressure is linked to lower grades, headaches, lost sleep, poor eating habits and irritability. What can we adults do to help our girls feel more lighthearted? Attend this workshop, designed for adults with girls in 4th-12th grade, to:
- Better understand what is causing stress for today’s girls
- Explore the genetic and gender components of anxiety on girls
- Discuss how this increased pressure is impacting teen girls
- Get 20 ideas of how you can help your daughter diminish her anxiety
Your burning questions about raising a teen girl…answered! Are you looking for tips, support and inspiration to help guide you in parenting your preteen/teen daughter? Join us for an informal, in person Q&A session with Barb. Some of the common questions parents ask Barb are:
- How do I help her with her friendship troubles?
- How do I instill more confidence in my daughter?
- How can I have a better relationship with her?
- How do I get her away from technology?
…but the time is yours to use for exactly what you need! Bring your questions!
Are you having the experience you want as you parent your daughter? Would you like to strengthen your relationship? After hearing from countless moms, I am excited to announce a new retreat for moms of teen girls. This will be a time for you to feel nurtured while you explore your present relationship with your daughter and envision the future relationship you want to have. When you are knee-deep in this parenting journey, it is so important to create the time and space to reflect, see where you are and decide where you want to go. That is what this retreat is all about.
During our three juicy hours together, you will be empowered to:
- Tune in with the mom you want to be and how to be her
- Get clear on your desires for your relationship with your daughter
- Learn new relational tools to bring joy and peace into your relationship
- Gain new ideas to remain connected during this time of growing independence
Do you wonder how to have fewer power struggles, less friction and more ease in your relationship? Drawing from decades of experience working with adolescent girls and their families as well as the latest research, Barb will give you special insight into what’s going on in that head of your daughter’s and what she needs and wants from you. Based on the book, Breaking the Code, written by teen girls.
*Cancellation Policy: An individual who would like to cancel their workshop registration within 48 hours of the scheduled date will be charged the full amount. For any cancellations that are made 48 hours or more prior to the workshop date, you will be charged a non-refundable administrative fee of $5.